Thursday, August 7, 2008

Rain!

Last night was eventful, a thunder storm started about 2300 that was so close it was making the front door rattle. The thunderstorm carried on and was still carrying on when at 130 all the power went off, a quick glance outside showed that the whole street was in darkness. Of Course Alex woke up and was scared meaning we had to rummage around downstairs for candles and torches. Fortunately Stuarts phone has quite a powerful torch on it.
We found some large candles and put them on the windowsill in the hallway to cast at least a bit of light for alex. She wanted one in her bedroom but with the cats wandering about we felt it was too risky.
I phoned the electricity helpline to be told it should be fixed by 0430, told Alex this and went back to sleep. Next thing I know Alex wakes me up to inform me it is 430 and the power isn't back on yet! was I happy to be woken up?!!! At least the street lights were on now so I woke Stuart (who was even happier than me !) and it seems when the power went out our main switch had tripped so we flipped the switch and power was restored. Alex went back to bed happy and finally woke up at 11 am. Of course poor Stuart still had to be up at 0630 to catch his train.

So I have a week away from work and what do we get? Rain and more rain! The kids are going crazy being stuck indoors, they have done swimming seen everything worth seeing at the cinema, rented DVDs what shall we do!!!
In desperation I looked at the internet and found a little craft place called Crafty Coffee Stop where the kids will be able to make and paint - hopefully Sam won't find it too beneath her. So that is where we are off to any minute :)

2 comments:

Tony said...

Typical British weather waits for people to be on holiday before it rains ;) (yes, I know how silly that comment is).

At least we had good weather in Brighton :)

Tracey said...

haha so very true. The sun will come out as soon as I go back to work.